The Erwin Chatter was a company newsletter enjoyed for many years by the folks on Mill Hill. Photos from the Chatter are courtesy of OWD resident Elizabeth Utley.
|Mr. and Mrs. T.M. Whitaker were married on April 12, 1903 (Mr. Whitaker worked in the Tyeing-In Room in Mill No. 4). 50 years and five children later, they celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary in their home at 2624 Hillsboro Road.|
Ninth Street in 1923.
One of West Durham's first automobiles takes a spin around the neighborhood.
|Mill No. 1 employees John Sink and Marvin Plank (Vivian, France, January 12, 1919).|
Many young mill employees would go to Durham High School in the morning and work at the mills in the afternoon.
The mill village in 1938. Carolina, Rosehill and Green streets are in the middle. The new Erwin Square apartments will be built where the mill pond was on Hillsborough Road (foreground).
Erwin Mills & mill village in 1910.
Also looking northwest, Mill Hill in 1938. Ninth Street is in the foreground and Hillsborough Road heads out of town, beyond the mills.